This article will help you not only to tidy your closet, but to maintain it on day-to-day basis.
First steps to your new closet
Tidying a closet can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be if you follow these simple steps:
1. Take everything out of the closet: Start by removing everything from the closet, including clothes, shoes, and accessories. This will allow you to see everything you have and make decisions on what to keep and what to discard.
2. Sort everything into piles: Once you’ve removed everything from the closet, sort everything into piles based on what you want to keep, donate, or discard. Be honest with yourself about what you really need and what you haven’t worn in a long time.
3. Clean the closet: Before you start putting things back in the closet, take the time to clean it out. Vacuum or sweep the floor, dust the shelves and wipe down any surfaces.
4. Organize the space: After the closet is clean, it’s time to start organizing. Consider purchasing storage solutions, such as hanging organizers, shoe racks or drawer dividers, to maximize space and keep everything in its place.
Storage solutions and shelving
There are many storage solutions available to help maximize space and keep your closet organized. Here are a few ideas:
1. Shelves: Installing shelves in your closet is a great way to create more space for folded clothes, shoes, and accessories. You can either install fixed shelves or adjustable ones that can be moved up or down depending on your needs.
2. Hanging organizers: Hanging organizers come in a variety of styles, from simple fabric shelves to more complex systems with multiple compartments. They can be used to store shoes, folded clothes, or accessories.
3. Drawer dividers: If you have drawers in your closet, consider using drawer dividers to keep everything organized. Dividers make it easy to separate socks, underwear, and other small items.
4. Shoe racks: Shoe racks come in many different styles, from simple plastic models to more elegant wood or metal designs. They can be freestanding or hung on the back of a closet door.
5. Baskets or bins: Baskets or bins can be used to store items that don’t hang or stack well, such as belts, scarves, or hats. They can be placed on shelves or hung from hooks.
6. Hooks: Hooks can be a great solution for hanging items such as purses, scarves, or belts. They can be attached to the back of a closet door or mounted on a wall.
How to install shelves yourself
Installing shelves in a closet is a relatively straightforward DIY project that can be completed in just a few steps. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
1. Measure the space: Before you start installing shelves, you’ll need to measure the space where you want them to go. Use a tape measure to determine the width and depth of the closet, as well as the height where you want the shelves to be installed.
2. Purchase materials: Once you have your measurements, purchase the necessary materials. You’ll need shelf brackets, shelf boards, a level, screws, and a drill.
3. Install the brackets: Begin by installing the brackets. Use a level to ensure that they are straight, then mark where you want to place them on the wall. Use a drill to create pilot holes, then attach the brackets to the wall using screws.
4. Install the shelves: Once the brackets are in place, you can install the shelves. Simply place the shelf board on top of the brackets and make sure it is level. Use screws to attach the board to the brackets, making sure they are secure.
5. Repeat for additional shelves: If you are installing multiple shelves, repeat the process for each one. Make sure they are evenly spaced and at the desired height.
6. Finish up: Once all of the shelves are installed, take a step back and admire your handiwork. Consider adding storage bins or baskets to the shelves to help keep everything organized.
Installing shelves in a closet is a great way to create more storage space and keep everything organized. With a few basic tools and patience, you can complete this DIY project in a few hours or a day.